Photo Credit: Beer Lao Calendar 2011
There are even more books on this topic if you include those written on regional textiles studies that encompass southeast Asia, textile and art journals, and art magazines that have articles on this topic. For our resource list shown below, only books written exclusively on Lao textiles have been assembled here. Please note that this list is not exhaustive and indeed there may be additional books on this topic.
For those interested in this topic, we hope you find it useful.
(In order of first published date.)
Title: Costume and Culture: Vanishing Textiles of Some of the Tai Groups in Lao P.D.R.
By: Patricia Naenna
Publisher/Year: Studio Naenna Co. Ltd, 1990
- One of the first books on this topic, only 40+ pages, lots of color pictures, explanations and a glossary.
Title: H'Mong Batik: A Textile Technique from Laos
By: Jane Mallinson, Nancy Donnelly and Ly Hang
Publisher/Year: Mallinson/Information Services, 1990
Title: Lao Mien Embroidery: Migration and Change
By: Ann Yarwood Goldman
Publisher/Year: White Lotus Co., Ltd. 1995, 1998
Title: สื่อสัญญลักษณ์ผ้าลาวเวียงจันท์ / Symbolism of Lao Textiles / Susanyalak pha Lao Wiangchan (in Thai and English)
By: Chanida Tangtavonsirikun, Charnvit Kasetsiri, Kanchani Laongsi
Publisher/Year: Foundation for the Promotion of Social Sciences, 1998
Title: Lao Textiles and Traditions (Images of Asia Series)
By: Mary Connors
Publisher/Year: Oxford University Press, 1999
- Small in size but a very good general all-around book on this topic with lots of explanations and some pictures.
Title: Legends in the Weaving (papae nee mee dtum nan) (in Lao and English)
By: Dara Kanlaya
Publisher/Year: Japan Foundation Asia Center, 2001
- Beautifully made bilingual (Lao/English) book that cost about $20 when it was first released. It's nicely written with good explanations and color pictures.
Title: Buddhist Textiles of Laos
By: Fredrick William Bunce
Publisher/Year: D.K. Print World Ltd, 2004
- large book both in size and number of pages, mostly images with descriptions but also included are background explanations, black/white photos. Click the link to see our review on it.
Title: ສິ້ນກັບແມ່ຍິງລາວ / Sinh and Lao Women
By: Viengkham Nanthavongdouangsy
Publisher/Year: Phaeng Mai Gallery (Vientiane), 2006
- 98 pages, written in Lao and English
Title: Siho and Naga - Lao Textiles: Reflecting a People's Tradition and Change
By: Edeltraud Tagwerker
Publisher/Year: Peter Lang Pub Inc, 2009
Title: The Woven Textile Industry in Lao PDR
By: Mary Penny
Publisher/Year: VDM Verlag, 2009
Title: Lao-Tai Textiles: The Textiles of Xam Neua and Muang Phuan
By: Patricia Cheesman and Patricia Naenna
Publisher/Year: University of Hawaii Press, 2009
Title: Spirits in the Loom: Religion and Design in Lao-Tai Textiles
By: Ellison Banks Findlay
Publisher/Year: Textile Series vol. 19, White Lotus Press, 2013 (forthcoming)